Saturday, November 20, 2010

Playing in the Bathtub

Robi and Apa (Dad) are playing in the bathtub. And I am typing as fast as I can!

We brought Robi home last night and everything went remarkably well. He did pick up the phone to call Dharma (his foster sister) but other than that we can't understand if he is talking about going home. We played cars some, but mostly Robi is really into wresting and scaring each other. Over and over. He loves it! Almost everything we hear adopted kids are scared of, Robi likes. He loves the elevator. Robi missed his nap yesterday so he was way past tired and completely irrational. He kept wanting to play even though he was losing it, so we decided to make him lay down and hold him at bed time. He screamed, I was nervous, Sam was fine, and he fell asleep within 10-15 minutes. I kept telling myself to pretend like he was a baby! He slept all night...

ok... I am sitting here listening to Robi say "more", "water", "pease" in the bathroom. I don't even know what to do. He is brilliant.

We went to the zoo today and we think it went well. He's never been and he was very scared of some of the animals. This was good though because when he felt threatened he ran right past me to Apa. More muscle power. And actually mom had more of a near panic attack than Robi over a near encounter wit snakes. His English now includes "monkey", "buffalo", and "shark".

It's hard to set up boundaries for him... he is not used to being told "no" and we are not able to reason with him like George is. He is very verbal and used to explanations. It's hard to know how to pick our battles. He is already playing the parents... trying to run to me when Dad tells him "no", but I am trying to back up Dad. "Nem. Go to Apa."

Well, I can't think. I m going to hear this 3 word sentence Robi has going on.

More later. Please pray for wisdom.

We adore this boy! We are so thankful for him!

12 comments:

  1. So good to hear, Mary Beth! Praying daily for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the daily updates. I still go back and read them all over and over. Still praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man oh man. THis might be my favorite post yet. What an exciting night. I know parts must have been nerve wracking as you mentioned, but I'm truly thankful that I can take this opportunity to see Christ in you and Sam as you trust Him with your every move. It's speaking volumes. So excited. I've actually been thinking of Robi a lot. Any time I see a train - after I get over my own excitement, I think of how he would love it. I think I'm getting a little overboard because I've wanted to buy him little train presents on more than one occasion. Haha. Anways, I love you guys. Sending prayers from the States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,Mary Beth and Sam! I just read all your posts in one sitting and am blown away by the beautiful way God has blessed this week! I can picture your days because you have described them so well.
    May you continue to have daily wisdom and grace to deal with this precious little boy!
    Love, Leigh and David

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello!!!!!! soo proud of you for taking him to the zoo! just what his auntie would do!!!! thank you so much for updating. i've been in a slight panic wondering how things were going......can't wait to see him.

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mary Beth! So excited and encouraged by all I'm reading! Praying for you and Sam and Robi and the whole process...this is a joy to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robi sounds like an amazing kid! we are praying for you guys. i'm so happy he slept through the nite!!!its amazing how much sleep can really affect people, especially children. when do you go to budapest? let me know if there is anything i can do from this end with hooking you up with people. my email is plmclemore@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay for the zoo! I can't believe Robi is already speaking english! amazing! I've been praying for you guys. Thanks for the daily updates. So fun to read about the progress day by day. love u guys SO much! Can't wait to meet robi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so enjoying your blogs! Prayers are coming your way! I love and miss you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a word from your Grandpa (alias, one of the Great Ones)... Welcome to the world of parenting. Every child will test the limits - it's one of those innate thingies resulting from the Fall... But - that's where "training up the child in the way he should go" comes in...Sounds like you're off to a good start there. Don't get frustrated or weary in the task - you can do it - and - the Lord will honor your faithfulness to and with your son - Great One #4...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yay! I'm so glad it's been going well! I so wanted to know how the first nights went...and now i'm jealous because your child sleeps better than mine. Oh, and tell me he doesn't like snakes! I'm glad he hasn't learned that word yet. Teach him to say, "snakes are the devil!" Is that ok for him to learn? Well, just make sure he knows that snakes are bad and we don't play with them or sling them around our heads like a cowboy's lasso...SAM.
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a blessing to be able to share this special time with you three!(Three is a wonderful number,right?) Thanks for all the updates and know I am praying for you all. Can't wait to see Robi, maybe he will be in my class soon!

    ReplyDelete