Monday, November 15, 2010

"Is this real life?"

I think Sam and I both feel like that poor kid on youtube after the dentist's appointment. After almost 30 hours of traveling and no real sleep, we both are unsure this is real life!
Yesterday- which- became- today was surreal... we drove to Atlanta, flew to Amsterdam, changed planes at what was 2:00 am Montgomery time, flew to Budapest, met George (our Hungary facilitator) and ended up driving around 5 or 6 hours with him. Wedged into all that driving with George was an important meeting with the "DHR" coordinator of this region of Hungary and two social workers (who kindly asked us what we had done to prepare to be parents and informed us that we are "very young"!). The meeting went well, and off we went... to Robi's house!!!!!
Sam was smiling and silly and I think my brain looked like old tv static. We didn't talk much. Every few minutes Sam would say "We are about to meet our son" or I would sing an impromptu, incoherent "We're meeting Robi" song. We kept winding through neighborhoods that weren't his on a trip of unknown length... at least to Sam and I. After about an hour we drove into a neighborhood that was his, got out of the car, and looked up to a tiny, hoody-framed face peering out the window. Our son! OH he is so precious. We walked into his house... a house in a country we have never even been too, but it felt so familiar after watching Robi's dvd every day for two months! 
Of course Sam and I were nervous and unsure, but the meeting went so well. We didn't stay long, and as we left Robi's social worker said it went "beautifully." Robi is a precious,crazy bundle of extraverted energy. He was shy for about 3 1/2 seconds before he was running back and forth to his room, usually with me running behind him, bringing out every toy known to man to show off. Sam and I had been instructed to bring little prizes for Robi. SO I had tootsie pops and a few toy cars and a slinky. However. Robi was more interested in his play laptop computer and cell phone to be interested. I am still laughing... he is downgrading in toys I'm afraid. 
His foster family was so kind. They are very sad, but were wonderful about telling Robi that Sam and I were his mom and dad, trying to get him to come to us and play with us, and in the end, made him kiss us goodbye. And he did! Robi kissed me! 
We are so impressed with the care being taken to prepare Robi for this transition. His social worker has come almost every day and looked at the scrapbook we made for Robi with him. He is, by the way, FAR more interested in the train stickers I put in the scrapbook, than in Sam and I;)  We are going to visit all day tomorrow, and take Robi on a little mini-trip with just the social worker, Sam and I. George has the "boss's" approval and encouragement for us to take Robi as soon as he is reasonably used to us... possibly even Friday. The foster family is emotional, and George, his boss, and Robi's social worker want us to go ahead and take him as soon as possible, without it being too tramatic for Robi. 
Right now it looks like we will spend the day with him tomorrow- Friday, bring him to stay the night in the hotel on Friday, and leave for Budapest on Monday. If all this happens we can probably be home for Christmas and George will be my new super-hero. 
We are so thankful for God's blessings. Please pray for us as we get to know our sweet, wild son!

15 comments:

  1. ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. and thank you for posting an update. i have been checking my e-mail like crazy and kate and i just talked to see if anyone had talked to you.

    ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!! I'm crying!!!! i wish i could be there so bad!!! it's driving me nuts that i can't see him or you guys with him! I WANT TO KISS HIM TOO!!!!! I LOVE YOU ROBI!!!!!
    ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh

    and i want to punch smandrea in the face cuz she gets to see him first!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good news! I've been sooooo praying for a great first meeting! Will keep lifting you all up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!! This is so AWESOME!!!!!!! Im so happy for you guys!!! XD XD XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is AWESOME - nagyonyo!!!! I am so ecstatic that everything went so smoothly and I admit I cannot believe he has a toy laptop and cell phone. This is Hungary, right? :) praying for you guys and LOVE this blog, sooo thrilled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now now girls, Johanna and Andrea, let's keep calm about this. MaryBeth will need you to be!So thankful you are there safe and His angels are watching over you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So EXCITED! I don't know if I should go shopping for toy laptop and cell phone, start baking Christmas cookies or shout from the top of my lungs! (Ya know we should have figured out the toy thing..... kids want to be just like adults, its all serious play, learning is so much fun to toddlers, we adults should learn from them and get wisdom!) Sounds like we will continue to be amazed with God's goodness! Can't wait to see our new family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How big is Robi? How much does he weigh? My internet was down earlier but i will keep trying all the time now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for watching the blog:) I was too tried to email last night!
    Going to visit Robi!
    Should be able to be on Skype tonight... lunch-ish ya'lls time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sooo excited, many tears! love ya'll!!! God is soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are so so excited to hear about sweet Robi!! The Lord is so wonderful and clearly has gone before to prepare everything... including the heart of this sweet little one. Praise the Lord! Love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary Beth,
    Our family has been praying for you intensely since Sunday morning. We are so excited for you and are checking your blog several times a day for updates. The is a treasure to us as we anticipate our journey. Thank you!
    We will continue to pray hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robi and I have something in common - loving trains!! I'm so excited about this first meeting. I imagine you running behind Marybeth and just puts a big ol smile across my face. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. MB and SAM! Tears stream down my face in joy, excitement, and wonder of our amazing God and how he has granted such a beautiful picture of his grace and love in your's, Sam's, and Robi's life. We think and pray for you often and love you guys so much!!! XOXO (hugs and kisses to you guys) Stay strong...believe the Lord is good in all things!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete