Sunday, December 19, 2010

Celebrating Christmas

Enormous Christmas Tree at WestEnd Mall
“But now in Christ Jesus you who were once far off have brought near by the blood of Christ.” Eph.  2:13

“But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.” Gal. 4:4-5

I was sad a few days ago because I felt like we were missing out on celebrating Christmas. We were watching the Youtube video of the Hallelujah chorus being sung at Macy’s and it made me miss the Christmas Cantata at church and hearing Christmas music everywhere, and Christmas sermons at my church, and decorating and parties, and making cookies with my sisters. 

But then I remembered that we are celebrating Christmas… that’s why we came to get Robi. We are adopting him, because God adopted us. We want to be like our Heavenly Father in whatever little way we can. We want this little boy who was outside the covenant of a Christian family, to be inside, and to hear about Christmas every day for his whole life. 

So celebrating Christmas for us (this year) looks more like playing with trains, and racecars that sound like dying dinosaurs, getting shots, and passports, and teaching English. And rejoicing to hear Robi say “King Jesus” because now he will have the opportunity to know this King who offers him a better adoption and an inheritance as a son. What perfect timing!

“You’ve heard it told, you think it’s odd
The whole thing fraught with complications
The play begins with Baby God and all his blessed implications
But it’s true: kingdoms and crowns
The God who came down to find you…”
Sara Groves

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful you articulate, this wonderful blessed daughter that came to be mine through Christ, prayer and my son. God could have not given me anyone closer to my heart How magnificent is OUR GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh - me Grand-daughter has that "preachy" stuff down real good... Your Grandpa P. thinks your "preachy" is "peachy" - - -
    We'll have to do a preaching "gig" together sometime... Looking forward to your return home and hope the weather doesn't cause any delays from the Europe side of the Ocean...
    You All are in our Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MB, even here in Montgomery, AL with lights and decorations and music all around... I can understand your sentiment (I feel it too) and I'm deeply moved by your rejoicing!! Thanks for encouraging me over the seas! Can't wait to have you all home and down the street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Beth,
    What beautiful words! I hope you put your writings and blog in a book so that one day Robi may know how wonderful this time in his life has been. I pray for your safe return to America and hope we can meet Robi on one of our visits home to Eastwood. How blessed he is to have such a wonderful mother! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete